Monday, May 21, 2012

Randi's Vicious Deep Review!



I admittedly didn't think Garrett and I's Vicious Deep reviews would be so close together, but I actually got around to reading the book faster than I thought, so I hope you all don't mind!




It's been about a year since I found out about the Vicious Deep and it's finally here! I loved this book so much and really loved the unique take on the mermaid mythology and the cool location on land. Also, it's completely hilarious. I don't remember the last time I laughed so hard reading a book.

Tristian reminds me a lot of Tony Stark, all that wit and erm, good looks if you will. It may just be because the Avengers opened the weekend I read this and it was totally awesome but they struck me as similar characters.

The secondary characters are also funny, real, and have their own quirks. The only one I thought was a little lacking was Layla, but there was nothing too bad going on there.

The setting on Coney Island is really vivid and becomes a character itself in the story. You can really visualize it as you read. It fits the themes and really adds a lot to the story. It's been a while since I read a book where the location was so central to the story.

The mer mythology is unique, as is the narrator. I've never read a mer-book with a male narrator, and it's a nice change of pace. The mer-world is fascinating, borrowing equally from Greek mythology and of course The Little Mermaid.

I got a bit bored with all of the stuff on land, but the boredom never lasted very long. There's always something new coming in the Vicious Deep, and I think it will be even more fun to re-read later.

Altogether, four and a half stars and a looooooooooong wait until the sequel. Two thumbs up Zoraida!

-Randi

No comments:

Post a Comment