Sunday, May 1, 2011

Interview With Siren's Call Author Devyn Quinn!



Devyn Quinn lives in the scenic Southwest, though she has called several other states home. She is a huge fan of dark gothic music & shoot-’em-up action movies. But reading is her first love and Devyn spends too much time with history books, as well as feeding her addiction for celebrity biographies. She especially enjoys reading books on Hollywood before the 1960′s and is crazy about Marilyn Monroe, her legend and her myth.

I recently caught up with Devyn Quinn to talk about her new Dark Tides series, which is about three mermaid sisters who discover they are the lost heiresses to a mermaid kingdom. I asked her a few questions about herself, her work, and her upcoming projects. Here's what she had to say.

Can you tell us a bit about yourself?

DQ: Not much to tell, really! I was born in an unremarkable location, grew up living an unremarkable life and it's been that way for the last 40 years or so.


How did you get the idea for the Dark Tides series?
DQ: Editor Lindsay Nouis, formerly of NAL, was looking for paranormal romance with a darker side. She specifically asked for mermaid themed ideas. My agent contacted me and asked if I was interested since I am known for edgier characters.
I said sure, and wrote a proposal. It was rejected, along with the admonition that I couldn't use the tried and true aspects of mermaid lore, including Poseidon, Atlantis, or spin off Anderson's Little Mermaid because other authors has already touched on those themes in ongoing series. With that in mind, I did a little more research and came upon the lore of the Assyrian mermaid, which I then began to use to create an alternate world for the mermaid, including their origins as a war-like species.

Which Lonike sister do you relate to most?
DQ: I would have to say I like Addison. If I had such terrific powers I would certainly want to take advantage of it, just like she wants to.

The mermaids in the Dark Tides series are covered in tribal tattoos that denote them as something other than human. Do you have a love for tattoos that maybe inspired this aspect of the mermaids’ mythology?

DQ: I actually have tattoos myself, and do like my characters to have them when applicable. Creating a scale pattern for my mermaids was inspired when I actually saw a drawing of a mermiad with such markings on her tail. I decided to expand the pattern to cover the entire upper torso as well.

Which of the male love interests is your favorite?

DQ: I'd have to say I like all the men equally well. Kenneth may not be best looking, but he's loyal and loves Tessa, tail and all. Blake's not exactly sure what he's getting into with Gwen, but he's willing to give it a try. As for Mason McKenzie, he's going to learn what it's like to let a woman take the lead.

How do you feel about all this sudden attention mermaids are getting in the media?
DQ: I honestly have not seen a lot of media attention on mermaids. I know that the 4th Pirates of the Caribbean movie has some mermaid characters, but aside from that I'm not aware of any surge in their popularity.

Dark Tides is meant to be a trilogy. Could you see yourself writing more books about your fish-tailed characters?
DQ: Although I had the chance to continue with the series, I declined the chance to go with more books. I felt three sisters, three books were quite enough. Anything more would have been jumping the shark, LOL


What do you hope readers will take away from your books after reading them?
DQ: That they had an enjoyable time visiting my alternate reality.

Finally, what other projects are you currently working on?

DQ: I am presently writing on the second book in the Vampire Armageddon series, Darkness Awakening, as well as working with my agent to sell a new series to NAL. Nothing firm yet, but we're talking.

You can visit Devyn at her website http://www.devynquinn.com/ or on Goodreads. Siren's Call and Siren's Surrender are available now, and Siren's Desire, the third book in the series, will be released in February 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment